Why Ionic Framework is Gaining Popularity for PWA Development?
Published November 13,2018 1 year ago Posted By Justinas DanisReading Time: 4 minutes
Created by Google in the year 2015, Progressive web apps or commonly known as PWAs are websites designed with both native mobile applications and traditional websites. The best thing about PWAs is that they can work both offline and online, and incredibly perform that combines the best of websites and mobile applications and easy installation in the user’s device. The offline mode of PWAs ensures both speed and performance and with no delay.
PWAs have been used by Flipkart, Alibaba, and Google, among a few to say. To mention, more and more businesses are now building PWAs in place of native apps.
What makes Ionic Framework Great for PWA Development
You can develop any mobile applications with web technologies and then distribute via all native app stores. To mention here, the best kind of apps made via Ionic framework are PWAs are quite progressive in nature.
Progressive web apps, actually work the bridge between native mobile web applications and apps. PWA offers design concepts, technologies, and web APIs, collectively which work in tandem to provide users, app-like experiences on the mobile web.
Let us know in depth how the Ionic framework is the best choice for PWA development. They offer push notifications, offline functionalities, content updating in background, content caching and more.
Before the introduction of Ionic framework developers used Native coding to develop iOS, Android or Windows apps. And all these platforms needed a dedicated and independent development. With the Ionic framework, developers got to work with the new Hybrid apps.
In a 2017 survey, it was found that the hybrid apps are gaining grounds over native apps. The report says that in just two years, the percentage drop is 2.9% from a good 20% of developers exclusively using Native.
We have already talked about native and hybrid apps, but for the beginners, here is a short idea about the Ionic platform. This is an open-source SDK for making Hybrid mobile apps, with various inbuilt features with more than 120 native device features like Fingerprint Authorization, HealthKit, Bluetooth, typescript extensions and Cordova plug-in it provides utmost ease of development of apps.
Primary features of the Ionic framework:
- It comes with all attributes alike native app development SDKs as a result developers can create their apps and is easily customizable for iOS, Android or Windows, or deploy via Cordova.
- Ionic has a good CLI, allowing developers to build and test Ionic applications in every platform
- It gives elements and various interaction modes using Angular for development.
- The feature of collection repeat helps in smooth running of scrolling huge lists with no performance hits.
- Being SASS based, it comes with several UI components for creating robust and advanced applications.
Why Develop PWAs with an Ionic Framework?
To understand, let’s take help of some stats:
- The Best Western River North hotel witnessed a 300% rise in revenue with PWA.
- With PWA, Treebo saw four times increase in conversion rate, for years.
- OpenSooq enhances their mobile experience with PWA by a 25% rise in average time on page to result in 260% more leads.
- With PWA, Tinder has cut load times to 69 seconds, from 11.91 seconds.
- Facebook witnessed an exponential rise in its engagement rates and downloads.
- Pinterest’s with PWA witnessed an increase of about 60% engagements and a 44% rise in user-generated ad revenues and a rise of 40% average spent time on the site.
Besides above-mentioned pointers, there are several more big names who profited with PWA and ionic frameworks viz. Lyft, Starbucks, Twitter, and Forbes.
Why use the Ionic framework?
- Gives a freeness to easily deploy code on any platform or OS.
- Being Angular supported it is a common network to develop highly interactive mobile applications.
- Being an HTML5 framework, it needs a native partner like Cordova to confirm native functioning with features like GPS, camera, Bluetooth, etc.
With Ionic platform’s powerful CLI you can code, test, create and deploy Ionic apps to a platform of your choice. Also, this new installation of CLI lowers more than 90 MB of dependence and several codes and also allows a faster time of installation with a lesser impression.
Are There Any Alternatives to the Ionic Framework?
Yes, there are pretty two alternatives, namely Xamarin and React Native.
- Xamarin: This framework is supported by Microsoft for developing a cross-platform mobile application which uses native libraries and C# which are wrapped with .NET layer.
To summarize, PWAs have found acceptance among several big names and runs smoothly via ionic framework providing big profits. With the seen benefits of iconic apps, they are now increasingly used native apps, allowing users to have smooth running also in slow networks. So more and more mobile app development agencies are considering an iconic framework for their PWA Development.
Hope you liked the read. Leave your suggestions in the comment section below.